I am always so happy to return to the ever-wonderful I’m a Beer Hound to present to you all my 20 Beers You Must Try List for this year’s Detroit Fall Beer Festival!
Before we get started, I just wanted to remind you all that this is just the beer list of one beer lover. I’m not looking for the mainstays or the usuals, the highly sought-afters, in-demand or not – there are some beers that are legendary and on everyone’s list, and those you won’t find here. I’m looking for unique and interesting beers that stand out to me as a beer lover. Beers with a twist, unique styles - beers you just don’t see much these days.
That being said, I encourage you all to head over to http://www.mibeer.com, head over to the events section, select Detroit Fall Beer Fest, and check out the beer list for yourself. Make your own must-hit list and keep it with you as you explore the festival!
Fall is hop harvest season, so you’ll find quite a few wet-hopped options that are only available during this time every year! Look for the words “harvest” and “wet-hopped” and you’ll be rewarded with juicy, fresh, dank hop flavor that just can’t be beat!
Now, on to the list, un-ranked and presented in no particular order:
- Batch Brewing Co. – Weizenbock
- Witch’s Hat Brewing Co. - Wine Barrel Gose - Barrel-Aged Gose
- Lattitude 42 Brewing Co. – Lilikoi Wheat – Passionfruit Wheat Ale
- Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales - Crystal Chandelier - Single hopped tart pale with Crystal hops
- Cranker’s Brewery - Lauren - Flanders Style Red (Saturday 2:30pm tapping)
- Atwater Brewing Co. - Blue Nectar - Vienna Lager aged on Blue Nectar Tequila Oak
- Stormcloud Brewing Co. - 2015 Harvest Tripel
- Brewery Vivant - Gin & Ginger - White Wine BA Farm Hand w/ Juniper Berries & Ginger Root
- Tri-City Brewing Co. - Wild Lace - Belgian Pale Ale aged in a Cabernet Sauvignon soured barrel (Fri. tapping)
- Cotton Brewing Co. – Molasses Sour
- Arcadia Ales – Brown Cow – Brettanomyces Brown Ale w/ Cherries
- The Livery Brewing Co. - BBA Trippel Weizenbock - Trippel Wheat Bock
- Short’s Brewing Co. - L-I-V-I-N - Tart Saison with lemon and orange zest & Devil's lettuce - Wet Hopped Harvest India Pale Lager
- Hopcat Brewing Co. – Red Nymph Flanders Red (Satruday only) & Oil Rigger Imperial Stout 2015 (Friday Only)
- Arbor Brewing Co. – Ypsilambic – Barrel Aged Sour Wheat
- Original Gravity Brewing Co. - Old Skool Altbier
- New Holland Brewing Co. – Incorrigable Reserve (Fruit Sour Ale, 5:30p Friday Tapping), Galabier (Barrel Aged Belgian Dark Trippel) & Dragon’s Milk Reserve Series
- DM Reserve Double (Sat 3pm tapping) - Barrel Aged Stout, Triple Mashed
- DM Reserve Raspberry (Fri 7:30 tapping) - Barrel Aged Stout w/ Raspberries
- DM Reserve Coffee (Sat 2pm tapping) - Barrel Aged Stout w/ Chocolate & Coffee
- DM Reserve Chiles (Fri 6:30 tapping) - Barrel Aged Stout w/ Chiles
- Wolverine State Brewing Co. - *Massacre 2015 - BB-aged Imperial Dark Lager
- Kuhnhenn Brewing Co. – Braggot (Scotch Ale w/ Honey) & Cherry Oud Bruin (Belgian Wild Ale w/ Tart Cherries)
- Bell’s Brewing Co – 30th Anniversary Ale (Imperial Stout) & Boiling Pot Pale Ale (Oatmeal Session Ale)
- Redwood Brewing Co. - Hairy Lil' Brunette Sista - Black India Pale Lager
RUNNERS UP: Other Beauties For Your Consideration
- Right Brain Brewing - * Broken Nose - Wet Hopped Double Black IPA
- Blackrocks Brewery - Conch Blower - American Barleywine
- Griffin Claw Brewing Co. – Flying Buffalo –Barrel Aged Imperial Stout
- Rochester Mills Brewing Co. - Bourbon Barrel Grand Cru
- Saugatuck Brewing Co. – Lord Stanley 3 in 6 Stout & Barrel Aged Neapolitan Milk Stout
There we have it! I hope you enjoyed the list and look forward to persuing the beer list on your own, it’s going to be an awesome fest full of unique, fresh and interesting beers!
Cheers and see you at Eastern Market,