When locals heard that the party store Blue Front
was closing, more than a few of us started the “nothing gold can stay” laments that soon turned into much reminiscing about the past and the things that used to be here, but are no more. The building on the corner of Packard and State can be traced back to 1908
, when it was listed as being a news depot. It later became a cigar store, and in the 1920s became known as the Blue Front. The reason for the name is lost to the ages, but we do know that a man named Ray E. Collins bought the Blue Front Cigar Store in 1927 and made the place legendary.